Friday, June 28, 2013

Chapter Seventeen (You And I)

Previously, on "Heat":
Ch. 16 (Disarm)
-Joseph and Marley were able to interview their first witness.
-His name was Alexander, and he was able to identify the
suspects as two men in a black SUV. 
-They also learned that the dead victim was Alexander's 
brother, and he's been getting threats.
-That same day, Laslo was informed of the dead victim,
to his disappointment. 
-He ordered his subordinates to take care of any witnesses,
and to find out who the dead victim is.
-If Laslo's cover is blown, he could face multiple charges,
including homicide.
-This could destroy his firm.
-Hannah came in to his office, reminding him of their dinner plans.
-She's his daughter.

 photo Screenshot-1-8.jpg

Location: 2110 Edgewood Road
Date: Sunday, 11/6/2011
Time: 1:11 p.m.

As Joseph enters the bedroom, he's greeted by the delicate scent of potpourri lingering in the  air, a scent he always associates with the haven he shares with his wife. Despite his feet aching from wearing rubber boots all morning and evening, this inconvenience slowly fades away at the sight of Sarah sitting up in bed in a tanktop and pajama bottoms, with a surprised smile on her face. The incandescent glow of the lamps wash over the whole room, softening the already buttery walls, enhancing the plushness of the maroon duvet, giving the white pillows a cloud-like quality and more importantly, bringing out the liquid sapphire in Sarah's blue eyes. 

"Joe!" She gasps, nearly dropping her book on her lap, her eyes sparkling at the sight of him quietly coming in. Normally she'd be asleep by now when he has to stay over at the station, so he is just as surprised to see her up. "What are you doing home?"

"It's been a long day," He says as he takes his boots off and leave it by the foot of the bed, too tired to walk across the room where the closet is. Especially now that the warm covers are calling his name. His sweaty feet long to be free from the confines of tube socks, just anxious to touch the freshly washed cotton sheets.

As much as he loves his job, he could never really get used to the twin size beds sprawled next to each other at the fire station. That, and having to sleep next to half a dozen people, who are mostly men. Men who snore. And fart. In their sleep. Even when Joseph finally manages to doze off, it can quickly become interrupted by the deafening sound of the alarm---which is the most distressing thing to wake up to. 

 photo Screenshot-3-2.jpg

After ridding himself of his uniform, he joins Sarah in bed, wrapped up in his favorite silk robe, a luxury he's been waiting all night for. He lets out a deep, all-body groan as he sinks into the softness of the bed, slowly stretching out his bare feet as they rub back and forth on the duvet. He can feel every single bone in his toes stretch and crack in bliss as they wriggle around in freedom, savoring the cool air. When he finally settles down, he turns to his wife and asks, "How was your day, sweetheart?"

"I'm good, cleaned the house for a bit then just caught up on some reading." She places the book on the nightstand before looking at him appreciatively. If there's one thing she savors more than anything in this world, it's quality time with her beloved husband. The firefighter's life, no matter how noble it is, doesn't follow the standard nine to five, Monday to Friday job. They work in 24 hour rotating shifts, which average to 10 days a month. In Joseph's district, they do two day, 12 hour shifts with a day off between rotations. The staff can choose the daytime or nighttime shift, as long as there's always someone on standby. However, fire captains have more responsibility and they work beyond the normal hours, even during their days off. "I thought you were spending the night at the station."

"I was going to," He leans in to kiss her softly. "But I've missed you all day."

"Awww, I missed you too, baby." As if one kiss wasn't enough, she leans in to taste his lips again, leaving both of them breathless and smiling coyly at each other. "How did the meetings go?"

Joseph gladly fills her in on the new developments, including the vague descriptions of the two suspects and black SUV they were spotted in, the dead victim being Alexander's brother and the fact that he and Marley searched the database all night for matches of the vehicle ---without luck. Despite Sarah's concerns, she assures her husband that he'll put things together. He usually does.

To help alleviate his dwindling mood, she changes the subject by asking, "Did you have a good time with the boys?"

"I sure did, we needed it.  You will not believe what I found out."

 photo Screenshot-4-4.jpg

First, he starts with Hannah, the new girl that Nate went on a date with. This gives Sarah a slight sense of relief since she always believed Nate could do better than Jessica.  She seemed too much of a party girl for Sarah's liking, and with Nate's already rowdy personality, she just didn't see anything good that could come out of that relationship. This new Hannah girl sounds promising, especially the way she seems to bring out Nate's gentlemanly side---a.k.a. keeping his hands to himself. But the only surefire way of sizing out this new girl's character is by meeting her. A mother's instinct is usually right, especially when it comes to her boys.

Next on the plate is Jamie, Jake's "friend". At least that's what he keeps referring to her as, but his foolish smile and twinkling eyes say something otherwise, especially when he talks about her. It was unanimously decided at Eugi's that Jake has a crush on his "friend", despite his blatant denial and overly defensive reaction to their teasing. Sarah chuckles, picturing this scene in her head, knowing how shy her little Jakey is. She's confident that she has garnered enough fear in him to not bring skanks home---unless he wants to suffer his mother's wrath (or dirty looks). 


The last girl Jake brought home was Audrey, his girlfriend in college, and Sarah loved her. She was a good student and a soccer player, just like him. Unfortunately, she moved across the country after graduation---new job---and she became a distant memory. Now that Sarah thinks about it, Luke and Jake had a knack for picking quality girls, but Nate seems to have...veered off course.

But the highlight of the day was Luke. Joseph definitely saved him for last, knowing his situation with Lyn and Brad got even more complicated. Letting out a deep breath, Joseph sits up straight and shakes his head, giving Sarah an 'oh boy' look. "And Luke...where do I start?"

"Oh dear...what's going on with him?" Sarah's eyes widen as she scoots even closer to her husband, bracing herself. "He never did tell me about his trip to Appaloosa."

"Before I tell you," Joseph takes her hand and squeezes it. "You know what I miss?"

"What, baby?"

"I miss dancing with you."

 photo Screenshot-5-6.jpg

"You are definitely full of surprises tonight." Sarah smiles as his fingers lock with hers while her other hand rests on his firm shoulder---as they sway gently side-to-side. A soft sigh escapes her lips as she closes her eyes, taking in Joseph's scent---a mixture of aftershave, Irish Spring and pine. Whenever he's away and she misses him, all she needs to do is put on his robe and it's as if he himself is wrapping her up in his arms until she falls asleep.

"Here we are, on earth together, it's you and I." Gazing into her eyes, he starts singing "You And I" by Stevie Wonder to her---his voice soft, raw and drenched in tenderness.

"Oh, Joe! Our wedding song..." Overcome with memories and emotions, she can hardly breathe. She can still remember it like it was yesterday, when she stood in front of her family and friends in a simple ivory tunic dress, in front of this man, who wore a black tux. It was the early 80's, she was  23 and he was 25. They just graduated from college, jobs were scarce, the economy was bad, but there was one thing they were sure of: they loved each other. And that's all they really needed to know.

"God has made us fall in love it's true." He continues, his forehead touching hers. "I really found someone like you."

They dance in silence, holding each other tight, as if Joseph is singing the rest of the song in his head, and she listens to every single word, while burying her face on his chest.

"I only pray that I have 
Shown you a brighter day
Because that's all that
I am living for, you see 
Don't worry what 
Happens to me"

"So what happened with Luke?" Sarah asks after opening her eyes and looking up at him, slowly waking up from the stillness---and spell of their emotional connection.

"He finally admitted that he's in love with Lyn. He kept this to himself for two years since she was with Brad. Did you know this girl is smart? She finished med school and half her residency in two years."

"Oh, I didn't know that. So she's going to be a doctor?"

"It sure looks like it."

 photo Screenshot-6-5.jpg

Joseph fills her in on how Brad messed everything up, her miscarriage and catching him cheating on her the next day---with her sister---all because he thought she and Luke were sleeping together. And had it not been for Lyn running off to Appaloosa, she might have killed herself. It suddenly dawns on Sarah that's she's been completely wrong about Lyn. She's nothing like Natalie or any of the loose girls Brad gets involved with. In fact, Sarah's heart breaks for her. Now, more than ever, she wants to meet this mysterious girl that captured her oldest son's heart. 

"And she's all alone in Appaloosa?" She asks, feeling a pang of maternal worry and hoping Lyn is okay.

"Yes. That's why Luke went to go see her the first time," Joseph explains, "To bring her dog back. In fact, he's there right now. We finally convinced him to come out with his feelings."

"Oh, good! I really hope she feels the same way. Poor darlings, they've both been terribly hurt. They deserve to be happy."

"I hope so too," Joseph nods as he caresses her face, overcome by a wave of nostalgia as flashbacks of their youth resurface. Financially, he didn't have much to offer in their early days, but he always showered her with his love and attention: stolen kisses in the kitchen, slow dancing to their favorite Stevie Wonder song, long walks in the park, star gazing at the beach, love letters, random road trips and endless talks---about everything and anything. In the days when they had nothing but each other, they knew that no matter what happened, they would be happy. "Remember the days when we were broke? Luke was just a baby, you weren't working and I just started out at the station."

"Gosh, I remember. We lived in that tiny one bedroom apartment off of Embarcadero Drive. I remember having to go to the food bank and taking hand-me-downs for Luke. "

"You made the most of it, though. You always stood by my side, even when we struggled."

"Of course, why wouldn't I? I love you, Joe," Sarah mutters, searching his hazel eyes. The eyes that take her breath away, even to this day. "We have three beautiful sons together. I couldn't ask for anything more."

"I love you too, Sarah." His breath quickens at the sudden heat of desire growing in his loins. Pressing his body against hers, his hand travels down her plump cheek, squeezing it. Leaning closer, he whispers, "You're everything to me," before his mouth crashes into hers. This desperate need to make love to his wife has never been more apparent---until now.

"Cause' in my mind,
You will stay here always 
In love, you and I 
You and I
You and I"

*Copyright 2013 Lyn C.S.* -------------------------------

"You And I" by Stevie Wonder
Video by: kcamowje

13 comments:

  1. Dear Lyn,
    Thanks for telling me about the update. I don't really have much to comment on it other then it was a good chapter for heat. Speaking of sims I am now getting caught up in my sims3 world agian. I just got university today but could not get island paradise yet because the store did not have any on the shelf. Ive been thinking alot about your writtings and it seems that with each passing chapter I grow more attached to you . keep up the good work and keep in touch and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm still debating about Island Paradise. I just want to make sure there's enough new features to keep me entertained. That seems to be the case with the new EP's. At first, they seem fun but as soon as I get them, I get bored. Especially with Uni. I was sooo excited about it, then I played it...and didn't expect it to be so boring and monotonous! Generations, Seasons and Late Night seem to be the only EP's I haven't gotten bored with.

      Let me know how Island Paradise is when you get it!

      Awww, that is so sweet to hear. But that makes me happy because I am connecting with you through my stories :)

      Thanks for your feedback, Tom!

      Delete
  2. Aw, this was lovely.

    You can very much feel the bond the two share with the way they are so open with one another. The sharing of memories was sweet. And slow dancing...*swoon*

    They have obviously set a good example for their boys. No wonder Luke is such a romantic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I know, I swooned at the slow dancing too. I noticed that Sarah hasn't been getting much coverage in this story so I thought this was the perfect chapter to reveal more about her, as well as her history with Joseph.

      Luke definitely got his romantic side from his dad. He's had a good example :)

      Thanks for your feedback, Karri!

      Delete
  3. Aww what a lovely chapter:)
    It's so nice to see how close and in tune with each other Joe and Sarah are. The boys are lucky to have such loving, wonderful parents.
    It's going to hurt the two of them as well when Luke comes home and tells them what's happened.
    Great chapter hun, can't wait for more and at the same time really don't want it to end:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the boys are lucky to have such loving parents, even though their path hasn't always been easy. They've been through some tough times and struggles, but their love for teach other always pulled them through.

      Luke will definitely be bummed when he gets home, but at least he has his family and they will be there for him.

      Well, Memoirs will be ending but Heat will be around for a while with 40 chapters :) But you're so sweet for not wanting it to end. HUGS!

      Thanks for your feedback, Clairey!

      Delete
    2. Yay! I thought Heat was ending at 20 chapters! That's made my day:) I was feeling sad thinking it was all over soon!
      *Big Hugs*

      Delete
    3. Hehe you're so silly. I would have put "Final Chapter" for Ch. 20 if that was the case. But I'm glad I made your day, yay! HUGS!

      Delete
  4. ~ Last I read of Memoirs,Luke was leaving,with Lyn in Brads arms,I am sure that the family will pick up the pieces,but I am hopping that something will happen & they will celebrate rather than have to console Luke!
    ~ These two have set very good examples for their boys,their love for each other has got them through good & bad times!Which in turn makes their boys want the same as what their parents have, a true & everlasting love!
    ~ I am so glad that Sarah sees Lyn in a new light,she should have never doubted Luke's choice,but is it too late?
    ~ Loved this chapter & see why the boys are as they are!
    ~ I do not want to see Luke back in this (Heat) just yet!LOL
    ~ Love it! (",)
    ~ PS-Do not know what happened,words changed!Hence deleted other comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karima, welcome back! It's good to see you again :) So you're hoping that something will happen so they can celebrate with Luke when he gets back? Awww, I don't blame you one bit. lol After all, they were rooting for him to get the girl. I agree, Joseph and Sarah have set very good examples for their boys. It's not just their love for each other but it's also how they treat each other, and this has spilled over to how they treat their children---with love and respect. Luke and Jake definitely want to follow in their parents' footsteps. Even Nate, he's starting to seek quality women.

      It was good for Joseph to fill Sarah in on Lyn and Brad's history because she had no idea. She was completely wrong about her.

      Hehe so you don't want to see Luke back yet? All I can say is, stay tuned!

      Thanks for your feedback, Karima!

      PS: I deleted the other comment for you.

      Delete
  5. Ok very odd. I commented on this this morning but it's not here it looks like. Very odd, blogger ate it I guess. :(

    trying to remember what I said...very sweet chapter. It is really nice to see Joe and Sarah still so in love after all this time. They really do love, respect, and appreciate each other which is very refreshing to see. With parents like those, it's no wonder the Rossi boys all turned out so well.

    However seeing this does make me nervous with that guy out there. I mean he is out to keep Joe out of his business and he plays dirty. I don't think I can bear to watch something to happen to anyone in the family.

    Think that sums up what I wrote this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is odd. O.o Your original comment showed up in my email but I didn't see it here. Thanks for posting it again!

      I'm glad you enjoyed this chapter. I agree, it's sweet to see Joseph and Sarah still in love after all these years. They had a really close call at one point, with Sarah threatening to file for divorce if Joseph didn't remember his priorities. They found a compromise and it has worked for them both since. I agree, they are wonderful parents and they did a great job raising their boys.

      I don't blame you for being nervous about Laslo. Joseph needs to be careful though, because he can tap into dangerous territory. And that's very sweet of you for worrying about the family :)

      Thanks for your feedback, Mica!

      Here's your original comment:

      "aww Lyn this one was super sweet. I really love the relationship that they have. Even after all these years they are more in love than ever and seem to really appreciate each other.

      Seeing this moment makes me really nervous though coming off the last chapter. That guy (can't remember his name) plays dirty and I think I would die should something happen to Sarah or any of the boys. :(

      Very sweet chapter."

      Delete
  6. Joseph is a great guy. No wonder his children are all relatively good and level headed.

    ReplyDelete