Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Chapter One (Til I Collapse)

*Strong language*

Photobucket

Location: Bridgeport Community Fire Department
Date: Friday, 10/28/2011
Time: 11:11 a.m.

Oh, yeah. It's showtime, baby!!

Luke savors the screeching sound of the fire alarm as it travels through the whole building, forcing the staff on duty to scramble on their feet.  A house fire located on 73 Embarcadero Drive has just been dispatched by 911 emergency.  Since the fire ignited in the lobby of the apartment complex, dispatched units have been adviced to take great caution upon entering the first floor.  His heart races as he slides down the pole, eager to meet today's new scorching foe.  Where is he? Does he have any hostages? His ass is mine!! Having completed over 600 hours of paramedic and physical training two months ago, he's never felt more ready for this new battle.  

"Till I collapse

I’m spilling these raps
Long as you feel 'em
Till the day that I drop

You'll never say
That I'm not killing them
'Cause when I am not

Then I'ma stop pinning 'em
And I am not hip-hop 

And I’m just not Eminem"

Photobucket

"Marley, what's the location??" Luke briefly puts on his turnout gear before he heads out.

"73 Embarcadero Drive! Apartment building. Started about five minutes ago." Marley heads into the office to await standby.

Photobucket

Hot adrenaline rushes through his body as he sprints towards the door to get the fire truck ready.  No fire is ever too small to take lightly.  It only takes one source to create a domino effect, even something as small as a lit cigarette butt in the thrash can.  Or a barbeque grill that hasn't been properly put out.  Or faulty wiring that has been ignored for years.  No matter how dangerous the call is, he thinks about that person that could be trapped or unconscious with only a few minutes left before smoke inhalation sets in. 

Photobucket

"Is that us?" Nate asks when he hears the screeching sound coming from the building.  

"It sounds like it." Joseph pauses before he throws the ball back to his son.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Luke watches as his dad and younger brother scramble towards him.  This is Nate's last week of training, having already completed over 500 grueling, demanding hours.  Since he hasn't completed the program yet, Joseph must be present at all times during an emergency response.  Failure to do so as captain can pose as a huge liability for the department.

Photobucket

"A second unit has been dispatched." Marley announces through the radio.

"Our unit is complete. Big Bertha's heading out." Luke responds through the roar of the monstrous engine.  Ever since he was a kid, he and his brothers always looked forward to visiting the fire station just to be able to explore the majestic firetruck.  With their dad's supervision, Luke would maneuver the wheels while Nate pretends to communicate through the walkie-talkie.  Jake, the youngest, would stay in the backseat as he looks through the windshield, screaming at imaginary people to get out of the way.  He would whine about his turn to man the wheels, but Luke would simply threaten to kick him out.

"Music is like magic 
There’s a certain feeling you get
When you're real
And you spit

And people are feeling your shit
This is your moment

And every single minute
You spend trying to hold onto it
'Cause you may never get it again"


Photobucket

"Dude, you look like crap." Luke grimaces as he looks over at Nate's zombie-like face.

"This training is killing me.  I haven't slept in two days." Nate yawns as he tries to keep his blood-shot eyes open.  His five-o-clock shadow looks like an overgrown fuzz, making his skin look even more sallow.  

"Well, you wanna be a fireman right?" He smiles, giving his brother a light shove on the arm.

"Yeah, yeah." Nate rolls his eyes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

"All units have been dispatched.  Confirm." Marley announces again.

"Confirmed." Jake watches the bright flashing lights as the cry of the siren penetrates his ears.  He just completed his training this week, making him an official member of the crew. With Luke's help, he finally convinced his dad that he was ready to maneuver the vehicle on his own.  Sitting in the driver's seat with his gear on, goosebumps travel up his arm at the thought of defeating the beastly fire and saving someone's life.  He always looked up to his dad growing up.  Joseph would come home covered in soot, ash and sweat, weary from putting up a good fight.  No matter how exhausted he was, his eyes always sparkled with pride at what he gets to do everyday.

Photobucket

"There goes Spiderman!" Luke chuckles in surprise at the sight of Jake in front of them.  He was supposed to be behind them, but it looks like he took another route.  
Second to his father, Spiderman has always been Jake's favorite superhero. Ever since he heard the "with great power comes great responsibility" mantra, he too believed he could be a superhero in his own way.  

"Haha! I swear, that boy is going to cause an accident trying to beat us." Nate shakes his head.

Photobucket

"You would think after all those butt-whoopings he'd get it." Joseph rolls his eyes.

"Just take his firetruck away, dad.  Hit him where it hurts." Nate suggests as they turn the corner, approaching their location.

Photobucket

"Jake, I need you and Luke to stay in the truck.  I'll secure the building with Nate.  If we need help, we'll let you know.  Confirm." Joseph instructs over the radio.

"Okay, dad.  Confirm." Even his groan can be heard over the static.

Photobucket

Location: 73 Embarcadero Drive

Time: 11:20 a.m.

Joseph feels a delicious yet unnerving thrill in his bones as he approaches the front entrance of the building.  The smell of heavy smoke overpowering the air only intensifies his urgency.  He can never predict where the fire is going to be, or how it's going to behave.  He can't even predict its size, no matter how much information he is given beforehand, since the flames can escalate at any time.  The moment the alarm sounds and he receives dispatch, he feels like a warrior who has been summoned to conquer a new beast, and only he can do the job.  Like an evil dragon that's holding its victims hostage, he must work strategically and cooperatively with his son if they want any chance of winning.  The dragon must be slayed yet again.

Photobucket

Scorching flames and thick smoke immediately hits Joseph's face as he walks through the door.  He feels like he's inside a giant oven, only five times as hot.  His turnout gear is supposed to tolerate up to 1200 degrees Fahrenheit, but he is still vulnerable to skin burns and smoke inhalation.  He and Nate only have a few minutes to minimize the flames.  If they don't, their gear can become very uncomfortable, to the point of collapsing from a heat stroke.

Photobucket

"Nate, you need to cover the front!!" He yells through the buzzing sound of crackling flames reaching for the ceiling. White, chalky substance shoot through the air as he aims the fire extinguisher at the floor to decrease the temperature. This will prevent the fire from spreading any further.

"Got it, dad!!" Nate assures as he sprays the walls. Even though he has practiced this during drills, this is his first real fire. His gear slowly burns on his skin, making him very uneasy as the flames continue to attack all parts of his body. His first instinct is to run outside for relief, but his dad would be by himself. He can always dispatch Luke and Jake, but he would feel like a failure if  he gives up now.

I can do this. I can do this.

Photobucket

No matter how much he sprays the flames around him, he cannot seem to get them under control. In fact, they are getting stronger. They start to crawl up the walls, slowly taking over the ceiling.  The heat is becoming unbearable for Nate.  He starts coughing as the smoke continues to get thicker, making it almost impossible to see.

"Till the roof comes off
Till the lights go out
Till my legs give out

Can’t shut my mouth
Till the smoke clears out 

Am I high?
Perhaps
I'ma rip this shit 

Till my bone collapse"

Photobucket


"Nate!! Are you okay??" Joseph becomes frantic at the sound of Nate coughing.  He's been unusually quiet and that's never a good sign.  

"Dad..." 

"Nate!! Stay with me, son! Keep talking!!" 

"........."

"Nate? Nate!!"


*Copyright 2012 Lyn C.S.*
-----------------------------------

"Til I Collapse" by Eminem

Video by: axelmovies97

22 comments:

  1. Oh. My. God. LOVE THIS!

    Can I just say, first of all, that Luke looks fantastic in red? Of course, his whole family consists of hotties. I thought Luke would be my favorite, hands down, but it looks like his brothers are going to give him a little competition ;)

    I love too how in the first chapter we're already getting a feel for the family. They definitely seem like brothers -- supportive one second, competitive the next. And all of them following in their dad's footsteps and fighting fires? Eat your heart out Brad; I'm jumping on the Rossie bandwagon :D

    The ending has got me awfully nervous, though. There's a reason firefighters are heroes -- because they put their lives on the line every time they enter a burning building. I've only known Nate for one chapter, but I'll be crushed if he's hurt... or worse.

    Anyway, if it isn't obvious, I'm thoroughly enjoying this new story. Can't wait 'til next Wednesday :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already like this one too! Now we get to see what makes Luke the man he is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Just take his firetruck away, dad. Hit him where it hurts."
    ^^^^ hahahaha sounds like a child on punishment!

    Already the "heat is on" :) This was an excellent start to the chapter! I love it! I hope Nate is ok. He just rushed in there excited to be on his first real call which is understandable but I hope he hasn't let that affect what he has to do. It sounds as though his mask isn't working properly (hit me up on yahoo I can show ya something) and smoke has gotten into his lungs...not good.

    With his Dad just a few feet away would be really scary if anything has happened to him!

    Mmm Luke how you doin'? Yeah you know you look good you delicious bastard! A house full of firefighters? Oh dear which to choose and abuse?

    The descriptions were fantastic by the way :) You really created the sense of urgency and I am on the edge of my seat wondering what has happened to baby bro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so Luke and his own story. How can this not be good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count,

    YAY, you're my first commented!! You officially popped my blog cherry. lol XD EEEEP!! I'm so glad you love it, I was so nervous about this chapter. I wanted it to come out right and believable especially after seeing yours and how your characters realistically deal with a search. This the first story that I wrote that doesn't focus on romance (thought there will be some of it later on).

    Haha I agree, he does look good in red now that you mention it. XD Right now he wears a black shirt but I may change it up to red later on. YES, they are the typical brother who love each other but get competitive. Boys will be boys, right? I wanted to give you an idea of the nature of their relationships without overdoing it. Gah, I tell you these first chapters are the hardest!

    Bahaha I agree, Luke somehow stole the spotlight from Brad, and with his two brothers, I knew they needed their own story. lol Rossi bandwagon! Hah! You crack me up XD

    Awwww, so you're already taken to Nate? YAY! He's a sweetheart, and I'll try to give equal attention between him and Jake. At first it was tough switching from 1st person P.O.V. from Memoirs to 3rd person P.O.V. with heat but I wanted to focus on other characters too, so this is the best method. Plus I need the practice :D

    Thanks so much for reading and leaving a comment! I'm debating if I should update Heat twice a week and Memoirs once a week. But I'll have to see how it does the first few chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daisies,

    YAY, I'm so glad you like this story!! Thanks for giving it a chance and leaving a comment.

    Oooh I like your line of thinking. We will definitely get to see what made Luke the kind of man he is. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daijah,

    Bahahaha like a child on punishment! I love it, it rings so true! I also love the way you said "the heat is on". XD Thank you, I'm glad you are loving the story so far and liked the way it started. I agree, Nate got a little to excited with his first real fire, and with his lack of sleep, his reflex may be a little hampered. YES, I need to ask you about masks and other equipment that you may be able to help me find. I suck at finding objects!

    Did you just call Luke a "delicious bastard"?? LOL you're so bad. Then agan, I'd probbly end up calling him the same thing. Sexy motherf*cker might be more appropriate. XD Haha I guess I'll have to expose Jake and Nate (shirtless) more so you can make a wise decision. ;-)

    YAY, I'm glad you liked the descriptions! Third person description is something that I am rusty with lately so I'll have to work on that. And I had you on the edge of your seat? Score!! That's exactly what I wanted to convey. Muwahahaha!! XD

    Thanks for reading and commenting on this new story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jazen,

    Thank you for giving this story a chance and leaving a comment! Awww, you're so sweet, thank you for the kind words. You have no idea how nervous I was about this first chapter. I had to do research on the firefighting profession just to have some type of clue about what they do. lol

    Also the third person POV is something I have to get used to, it's quite different from the first person POV from Memoirs. So if you catch me slippin, feel free to give me a nudge. XD

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg, luke in his own story. Wow, and his brothers and dad, you can tell they are related, and all firefighters. All hot too. and now from that fire. Great opening, can't wait to read more of this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ~ I am loving this,it is so good to see Luke's story,we will get to know him & his family & find out what makes him tick!
    ~ Love it,more when you can!(",)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Niiice!! I'm loving it so far! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chapter 1 really opened up that story with a bang. Lyn you are really becoming quite the author and have a very good base for a novel with Memoirs and I think heat has potential to be one too. Keep up the good work and can't wait to see what happens next. I love both your stories so far.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this story is impressive stuff! You really kept the action going and the screenshots are exceptional, as well as the realism.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jerry,

    YAY, I'm so glad you like this story so far!! I know, after stealing the show from Brad in the last chapters and tempting Lyn, I realized that he needed his own story. It's funny because I didn't even plan on writing a new story so soon, but after seeing Luke in Memoirs, the possibilities were too intriguing to resist.

    Haha so you think the dad is hot too? The focus was originally going to be about the brothers, but now it makes so much sense for their dad to be involved. After all, he's the one that inspired them to become firemen.

    Thanks for giving this story a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karima,

    Thank you so much for checking out my new story, and I am so glad you are loving it so far! So I guess you already met Luke from Memoirs? xD I agree, it will be nice to get to know him and see things from his perspective. You'll be seeing a lot of familiar faces in this story as well.

    Ch. 2 will be ready next Wed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Geekie_knitter,

    Thank you for checking out my story and I'm so glad you are loving it so far!

    Ch. 2 will be ready next Wed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tom,

    Oh wow, you are making me blush again. You are so sweet! Thank you so much for the kind words and for checking out my new story. You have no idea how nervous I was about this first chapter. It's the first one that I've really been able to plan. I think I must have stared at it for like 20 minutes before I got anything going. lol

    Awww, that means a lot to me that you love both stories so far. I may just take up your suggestion about Memoirs. I think I'm going to try to make into a novel. *crossing fingers*.

    Thanks again, I really appreciate your support.

    Have a great weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seaweedy,

    Wow, you just made my day!! Thank you so much for the kind words and for checking out my story. I've been anxious to hear what you think, and I was positively grinning reading your comment. lol YAY, I got the Seaweedy Stamp of Approval! xD

    I really wanted to start the scene off right away, to get the reader's attention and interest, so I'm so glad I was able to keep the action going in the chapter. And thank you so much about the screenshots! I wanted to portray the life of a firefighter as realistically as possible, so I'm so happy that you saw that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally smiled at this "Just take his firetruck away, dad. Hit him where it hurts." That was so cute!

    I hope Nate is ok!! My heart was racing reading how he was struggling! I could scream, the way you just left us hanging like that!!

    Umm can we say hit Daddy and hot sons? Fireeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Put me out! Put me out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Qui,

    Thanks for checking out my story new and leaving a comment! Haha I know, Jake needs to be careful or firetruck is going bye-bye! He was just really excited and his competitive side came out. lol

    This was Nate's first real fire, so he didn't expect it to be so intense. I also think he panicked a little bit, and on top his lack of sleep, his reflex wasn't very good. Haha sowee, I wanted to make sure you'd come back for Ch. 2. xD

    Bahaha hot daddy huh?? That's so funny, I didn't expect the dad to get this type of response. lol But you know what? Yeah, I see it. He has that hot-fireman-good-father-good-husband aura. LOL you're so silly! Already trying to get carried out of the building! xD

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE IT. Mmmmm, his family is pretty drool worthy! I hope Nate's okay, I'll be so shocked if something happens to him.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Xfairytale,

    YAY, I'm so glad you love it!! Haha his family is drool worthy? xD Thank you, it should make it easier to like them right? lol Awww, thanks for your concern about Nate. You'll find out what happens to him tomorrow. Stay tuned!

    Thanks again for checking our my new story and leaving a comment :-)

    ReplyDelete