Thursday, January 12, 2012

Chapter Two (Kryptonite)

Previously, on "Heat":
Ch. 1 (Training Day)
-A house fire on 73 Embarcadero Drive has been dispatched.
-Luke, Joseph and Nate responded to the call while Jake's unit stayed close behind.
-Luke and Jake awaited standby while Joseph and Nate entered the burning apartment building.
-Since it was Nate's first real fire, he became overwhelmed by the smoke and heat.
-Despite Joseph's frantic calls, Nate failed to respond.

*Strong language*

Photobucket

Location: 73 Embarcadero Drive
Date: Friday, 10/28/11
Time: 11:23 a.m.

Joseph ignores the harsh flames whipping at his body as he tries to doust Nate down with the fire extinguisher.  Knowing the blaze in the room is nowhere near contained, he risks his own safety just to be able to give him a chance to cool off and breathe.  Even though Nate hasn't responded to his cries, he knows he's still breathing by the sound of his cough.  The thought of losing his second-born son makes him sick to his stomach.  I shouldn't have let him come.  He hasn't slept.  He should have stayed at the station! Through the whooshing sound of the chalky, foamy substance, Nate's cough slows down, letting Joseph know that his airway is opening up.  

"Nate!! Are you okay, son? Answer me!" He yells, trying to ignore the heat of the turnout pressing on his skin.

"Yeah, dad!" 

Since Joseph ignored the back side of the room to tend to Nate, the fire has spread to the entire floor.  With Nate's weak lungs, lack of sleep and inexperience, Joseph has to deal with the task alone.  They have already exceeded the alloted time that they can safely put out the blaze without overheating in their turnouts.  They took too long.  Now they are trapped between exits.

Photobucket

"If I go crazy 
Then will you still
Call me Superman
If I’m alive and well
Will you be there

Holding my hand
I’ll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might
Kryptonite"


"I got the back!! Just put out the front!" Luke's urgent voice pushes through the crackling of the flames.  As he persistently targets the floor and walls, the foamy substance starts to land on the sea of orange, red and yellow, overpowering its strength.  Little by little, the flickers struggle until smoke takes its place.

"Got it!" Joseph has never been more happy to hear his first-born son's voice.  He didn't even have a chance to call for backup but Luke came just in time.  Luke's ability to clear the back flames made it easier for Joseph and Nate to target the middle and front.  Within minutes, they are able to chase the red dragon out of the building, leaving soot, ash and black residue in its wake.

Photobucket

Nate can hear his pulse slowing down at the deafeaning silence left by the fire.  This was nothing like the drills.  Even though he aced the written tests and practice drills, nothing could have prepared him for the helplessness that he felt when his lungs started to give out.  For a moment, he thought he wasn't going to make it.  He was able to tolerate the heat seeping through his turnouts, he was able to push through the flames slapping his skin, but nothing terrified him more than suffocating from the smoke.  How can I carry someone out of a burning building when I can't even breathe?

Photobucket

"What happened?" A resident asks, his face full of concern.

"A fire started in the lobby but we were able to contain it to the first floor." Joseph explains as he wipes the sweat off his face.

Photobucket

"My family! Were they hurt?" The man asks, panic flooding his weary eyes.

"No, sir.  There were no residents in the lobby at the time.  If residents are still in there, they are safe in the upper floor." Joseph assures, hoping to ease his mind.

"Oh, that's good.  Thank you." He smiles as he shakes Joseph's hand.

"You're welcome.  We're glad to help." Luke nods.

Photobucket

Yeah!! The Rossis kicked ass again! Luke beams with pride at what they accomplished today.  They responded to the dispatch quickly, they worked together to put the fire out and they received a "thank you" from a resident.  What an incredible feeling, to be able to help people alongside his father and brothers.  His dad's passion for firefighting must run in the blood because now Luke understands why his old man can tolerate such a dangerous and demanding job.  He used to wonder why he would come home with a smile and a sparkle in his eyes despite being covered in soot and ash, his uniform filthy beyond description.  It was as if his uniform was his cape, and he runs out of the firestation ready to respond to someone's distress.

Photobucket

Even though his father is his favorite superhero, he has always identified with Superman, especially his "truth, justice and the American way" motto.  He admired his superhuman strength and vision.  That, and his ability to fly.  As a kid, he would put on his red cape and run around the house, pretending he could fly.  He would close his eyes as he imagines being swept up in the clouds, with the wind blowing on his face, as he looks down at the city that he's lived in all his life.  He would hear an imaginary scream for help, forcing him to pick up speed as he heads straight to the person in distress.  It could be a bad guy trying to hurt the defenseless, a large object falling on an unsuspecting bystander or someone trapped in a fire.  Whatever the case may be, his heart aches for the person in trouble, anxious to come to their rescue.

But Superman's amazing strength, vision and ability to fly isn't what drives Luke to be more like this superhero.  It's something that he holds even closer to his heart: the intense desire to love and protect a special woman.  Lois Lane.  The woman he would move heaven and earth for.  He has always dreamed of his own Lois Lane, his other half, his soulmate, the woman that makes life worth living...and saving.  Sometimes he would gaze out into the night sky, scanning the stars, wondering if she's out there, and if she's looking for him.  Sometimes she would visit him in his dreams, calling out to him, her eyes pulling him into a magical world that he never wants to wake up from.  He can never make out her hazy face, but he knows her eyes.  They penetrate through him, making him feel exposed...and vulnerable.

"I watched the world float
To the dark side of the moon
After all I knew it had to be
Something to do with you
I really don’t mind

What happens now and then
As long as you’ll be my friend 

At the end"

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Location: Bridgeport Community Fire Department

Time: 7:02 p.m.

"Man, that was intense!" Nate shakes his head as he recalls his first encounter with a real fire.

"The first one is always stressful.  But you'll get used to it." Joseph sympathizes as he savors the warmth of the broth running down his throat.  After prolonged exposure with smoke, any type of liquid helps clear the soot from the passageways.

Photobucket

"Luke, how did you know we needed help?" Joseph briefly looks in his direction before dipping his spoon in the bowl.

"Remember, dad?  Three minutes.  You guys were in there for almost four.  So I knew something was wrong." 

"You remember that?" Joseph chuckles.

"We listen.  Even though we don't act like it sometimes." Nate sheepishly beams at his dad.

"Well, I'm just glad you're okay, Nate.  You scared me for a second." Joseph lets out a deep breath as he scans his son's eyes.

Photobucket

"You survived your first fire, bro." Luke gives him a congratulatory pat on the ass.

"Hey, hey! Watch it now." Nate rubs his cheek as if it's fragile.

"You know you like it!" Luke smacks him again, making his brother jump.

"Alright, there's too much male bonding going on around here.  Go hang out with some girls or something." Joseph sighs, wondering when his sons are going to settle down with the right woman.  He's already thinking about his first grandchild.  

"Dude, smack me again and I'm telling Lyn you swing the other way." Nate threatens as he pushes his chair in.

"Shut up, buttwipe!!" 

"Who's Lyn?" Joseph asks, his eyes filled with curiousity.

"Oh..um...she's just a friend, dad." Luke stammers, his face turning crimson.  I'm gonna kill that fucker!

Photobucket

The hot water washes away the ashes and soot glued to his skin, pushing it towards the drainage hole, along with the soapy foam.  Luke lets out a deep sigh as the pressure of the water stream massages his back.  It soothes his aching muscles, as well as the thoughts running through his mind.  Lyn.  It's been over a week since he last saw her, that day they kissed in her apartment. Mmm...that kiss. Just thinking about it takes his breath away.  It makes his heart race.  He can still taste the sweetness of her lips, he can still smell the  intoxicating perfume on her skin, he can still feel the softness of her body pressed against his and he can still hear her soft whimpers as his tongue probed deeper into her warm mouth.  He didn't plan for that to happen, and he certainly didn't have the intention to hurt his best friend, but the loneliness in her eyes just killed him inside.   

Photobucket

"Hello?" 

"Hey..."

"Hey."

"..........."

"Are you okay?"

"............"

"Hello?  Are you there?"

"Yeah..."

"Where are you at?"

"At home."

"Don't go anywhere.  I'll be right there."

Photobucket

Shit.  I hope everything's okay.

Photobucket

Photobucket

"You called me strong
You called me weak
But still your secrets

I will keep
You took for granted

All the times
I never let you down
"


*Copyright 2012 Lyn C.S.*
------------------------------

Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down

Video by: 3DoorsDownVEVO

20 comments:

  1. omg. Brad calls luke, why? He knows the truth, so whats he up to this time? Luke is in love with LYN,, hoot hoot hoot. They i believe belong together. Somehow, someway, But how i am unsure, without causing more pain, more fear. Still, great freaking update. Loved it, glad his brother was ok, and his dads curiosity, lol, that was good. his brother spilling the beans like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. so glad Nate is ok but it seems like he may be rethinking his career choice.

    Luke and Lyn...He is in love with her!!!! He needs to go after her. I'm nervous, why would Brad call Luke of all people. He can't possibly hope Luke would help him get Lyn back.

    I hope Luke kicks his ass when he finds out that Brad slept with Lyn's sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I second Jazen's statement! Kick him reeaal good! Then tell him to shove it. You know, gentle like: 'Sorry man, You're my boy and everything, but you were out of line with her. Lyn is a great woman and you should've treated her better! This was bound to happen!'..........and then Luke joins the race for Lyn. Bit unfair because of her attraction for him, but WHO CARES! Go Luke!!! Get me some Luke babies! I'm with his dad on that one!

    Glad Nath's okay! Great update!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~ I had the feeling that Luke considered Lyn as his other half,his Soul mate!
    ~ It sounds like Brad has not told him that Lyn has left & they have broken-up,otherwise he would be searching for her,the Question is, will Brad tell him!?
    ~ Brad wants to talk,I wonder what about,or is it just to confirm what Lyn told him,that they only Kissed & nothing else happened!?
    ~ More when you can,I am so into this!LOL!(",)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just so like Luke's character. Even though he recognizes Lyn as his soulmate, he feels its wrong to pursue her while she is with Brad. I can't wait to see his reaction when he realizes how Brad has hurt Lynn. I hope that Brad is not going to try to make Lynn look bad in Luke's eyes!


    Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I approve 100% of all the male bonding in this chapter. I think 'buttwipe' was my favorite insult hahaha. Aww, the whole Rossi clan is adorable. I'm so glad little Nate was okay -- Luke to the rescue, eh?

    Speaking of Luke... damn. Who knew a hopeless romantic was hiding behind that sexy exterior? And that talk about superman/finding his Lois Lane? I can't even... Luke's got me wrapped around his little finger!

    I feel just awful for him that he finally found her, but she was busy getting screwed over by Brad. I hope Brad tells him what happened and Luke punches him in the face; that might make me feel better. But uhh, should things not work out between Luke and Lyn... where do I sign up to be his next Lois Lane? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha why do I see a stamp that says "100% approved by Countthestars"? I'm glad you enjoyed the male bonding, even though Luke got a little smack happy with Nate's ass. lol I heard Beavis and Butthead in my head, hence the "buttwipe" insult. xD Yes, little Nate is okay. Did you think I was going to kill him off in the first chapter? The hottie trio wouldn't be complete! xD And of course, Superman has to come to the rescue :-)

      I know, right? Damn. I didn't know he had this side of him until I wrote this chapter, and it makes sense especially after he couldn't take his eyes off Lyn that night they met. And she was drooling over him too. I tought Luke was going to be an even player than Brad but it turns out he's different. Yes, he's looking for his Lois Lane. :-) He's Luke without his turnouts and Superman when he has them on. And you haven't even seen him in bed yet. xD

      I know, the irony right? His Lois Lane spent the last two years of her life with the guy that screwed her over in the end, and he doesn't know about it. It killed him to see so lonely and taken for granted. I'd hate to think what he'll do when he finds out that Brad cheated on her with the sister, and caused her to lose the baby.

      Hahaha I swear, if I had a dollar everytime someone wanted to punch or kick Brad, I'd be rich by now! I know what would make you feel better. A little Luke striptease in his suspenders. xD Awwww, you're so cute! I'll clone Luke so you can have you own, wrapped in a box and everything. :-)

      Delete
  7. Thanks Lyn,
    Chapter 2 of Heat was awesome. It was the perfect thing to heat up this SnowStorm thursday afternoon. Can't wait to see what happens next. also looking forward to the next update of memoirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, I'm glad you enjoyed this chapter!! Wow, it's snowing where you are? That's the perfect weather for hot chocolate! Bring some of that snow over here, I wish it was colder.

      Ch. 25 for Memoirs will be ready Monday. :-)

      Delete
  8. Awwww, YES! I would totally root for Lyn and Luke. I still think for Lyn though, it's just more of an attraction. I guess we'll have to find out. I'm assuming she's still in Apaloosa plains anyway.

    Brad... hmph. I wonder what he wants to talk to Luke about? He's probably going to whine about how Lyn rejected him. I don't think Lyn and Luke could be together if Brad and Luke are going to be friends though. That would be too hard on everyone involved.

    Great new story! I will definitely keep reading it. :D

    --Ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out my new story!! I'm so glad you like it so far! Awwww, you'd root for Lyn and Luke? That's so sweet, they realy do deserve happiness, and what better way than to find it in each other. If it's meant to be. After that Brad disaster, even I'm a little cautious for Lyn. lol I can see why you think it's an attraction for Lyn. After all, she hasn't spent much time with Luke, and she fell in love with Brad. It's going to take time for her to recover from her relationship with Brad and take interest in someone new.

      Haha I lovehow you said hmph towards Brad. lol I like your prediction, I can see him doing that too. But you make a good point about the weirdness factor if Luke hooks up with Lyn while still being friends with Brad. There would have to be some seriousl forgiveness for that to happen. Then again, if Luke and Lyn belong together, Brad shouldn't stand in their way. After all, he had her and didn't appreciate her.

      Yay, I'm happy that you'll be following this one too!

      Delete
  9. Jerry,

    YES, Luke is in love with Lyn. He has been since he first laid eyes on her that night of the party when they met. That's why he couldn't keep his eyes off her but he stayed away when she distanced herself from him. She practically avoided him for two years. lol

    Awwww, so you think they belong together? That's so sweet!! I'd like to think so but I don't want to get my hopes us since I'm still pissed off at Brad. lol Yes, I know I wrote the story but ughhhh the characters are the ones that tell me what to write, even if I don't agree with it. lol I thought Lyn and Brad belonged together, and look what happens. xD

    Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it! You'll find out what Brad wants in Ch. 3. xD Haha Nate spilling the beans cracked me up too! So now we know that Luke told his brothers about Lyn. :-) But what exactly did he tell them?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jazen,

    Haha you could be right, he could be rethinking his career choice. I hope he won't give up that soon. He just needs to get used to it, and get some sleep! Yes, Luke and Lyn. I'm still trying to get used to the idea...after spending so many chapters with Brad as the love of her life, but somehow...it makes sense. There are many possible reasons why Brad called Luke...but at least he's reaching out to him. He may not be able to salvage his relationship with Lyn but maybe he can still repair his friendship with Luke.

    Haha you want Luke to kick Brad's ass?? That would be too funny! xD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jean-Marie,

    Thank you for checking out my new story!! Haha kick him real good?? I'm getting the feeling that you guys want to see Brad get a beat down. Just a hunch. xD

    "Sorry man, You're my boy and everything, but you were out of line with her. Lyn is a great woman and you should've treated her better! This was bound to happen!"

    Bahahaha!! OMG, I love your little scenarios. I can totally hear Luke saying that. He's all justifying why he should hook up with Lyn. Do two wrongs really make a right? HELL YEAH especially when you screw someone's sister!!

    "Get me some Luke babies! I'm with his dad on that one!"
    Awwww, Luke babies!! I can just see him being a dad, and a great one too. And you what's the best part?? Watching him make them! xD

    I agree, screw the unfairness. All is fair in love and war. Now that Lyn is single, this could be his chance. GO LUKE!!

    Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the update :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karima,

    Awwww, so you thought Luke believe that Lyn was his soulmate and other half?? Awwww, that is so sweet! I admit, I didn't even know this is how he feels about her until I wrote that part, and it just came to me. But looking back in Memoirs and his interactions with Lyn, it makes sense. There was definitely something between them, and even though Lyn didn't undertand it, she felt it. But Luke knew all along. That could explain why he couldn't take his eyes off her that night they met. And she was drooling over him too!

    I agree, Luke doesn't know what happened. The last time he saw or spoke to either of them was that night when Brad flipped out over the kiss. Since then they he stayed away to prevent from causing any more problems.

    You'll find out in Ch. 3, stay tuned! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Daisies,

    Me too, the more I get to know Luke, the more I admire his character. I think he gets that from watching his dad. He has a lot of respect for him. It must take a lot of self-control and discipline to stay away from the woman that you believe is your soulmate, and you feel it in your bones. I remember when he said "I guess it's not meant to be" when he stopped the kiss. He knew what they were doing was wrong, and he didn't want to be that kind of guy. I'm glad he did, he deserves so much more than a mere fling.

    Knowing Brad, anything can happen. lol If he's capable of screwing her sister, who knows what he might pull?

    Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Luke gives him a congratulatory pat on the ass.
    ^^ Next time he has to borrow my hand for that! I'm volunteering to feel the sting on my palm! I'd GLADLY sacrifice a few skin cells and risk a broken nail to be the one to pin that medal on that ass!

    I'm happy to know Nate is doing well! Where's my blonde bombshell aka Jake :) he was oddly missing. I'll assume you're making things up to me and he is in a 20 inch box wrapped in purple metallic paper with a large blue bow being shipped express to MOI!

    So why the fuck is Brad in this story? I can't escape this clown can I? /sigh...I wonder what the dickhead wants. Is he conceding? Not that he has a choice at this point since he's already lost Lyn...he better not be about to ask for his help to get her back!

    P.S. Been meaning to ask, is there a reason everyone has a 4 letter name that has the letter "e" in them? Joey, Jake, Nate and Luke...you don't have to answer. I don't even know if you have the answer. Just curious little old me...curious...yep...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're stalking me Lyn...you keep popping up on your blogs when I'm there. If you wanted hugs all you had to do was say please!

      Delete
    2. Bahahaha you're such a perv!! I can totally see you smacking Nate's ass just to see him whimper. Then you'd be like, Who's your momma?? Who's your momma?? Oh wait...did I say that out loud? xD Yes, little Natey is doing well. It would be irresponsible of me to let him die in the second chapter! The hottie trio wouldn't be complete.

      You'll see Jake in the next chapter. He was absent in this chapter since he wasn't involved in putting out the fire. Don't worry, you'll see him again soon. Of course I'll make it up to you!! Even better, I'll have him knocking on your door and be your personal fireman for one day. He'll put anything out. xD

      Hahaha did you really think Brad was going to disappear that quickly?? Besides, once you see what happens in Ch. 3, you'll understand why. Oh man that would be some balls if he asked Luke to get Lyn back. Sooner or later, Luke will find out the real story.

      Teehee you're so observant!! I didn't even notice the "e" in their names until you pointed it out. For sure with Lucas, Nathan and Jacob, I wanted to give them nicknames but I didn't realize that they all had 4 letters. With Joseph, Sarah calls him Joe but I like Joey too. Typical Italian guido nickname. lol

      Delete
    3. PS: Haha...I was replying to the comments when you were reading both stories. xD If I wanted a hug, I'll take one! *HUGS* xD

      Delete